Monday, March 8, 2010

Week of Salad: Monday

I'm still doing it! We're in March and every day this year (so far) I've eaten salad! Some days my salad is a spinach smoothie, and once in a while it's steamed cabbage. Other days it's both. So I figured another weekly audit is due. So this week I'll be posting pics of my salads.


Last week I totally started craving an old recipe I had forgotten. So I bought some mushrooms, and baked up my favorite recipe, and ate some delicious mushrooms with my salad today. I was going to save a few for tomorrow, but they got lost in my stomach. Once you try them yourself, you'll wish they got lost in yours too.





Here's the recipe...

VEGGIE-STUFFED MUSHROOMS

20 large (1 ½ to 2-inch diameter) mushrooms (about 1 pound)
½ cup broccoli, finely chopped
¼ cup carrot, finely chopped
1 TBL onion, finely chopped
1 cup seasoned croutons, crushed (about ½ cup)
½ cup (2 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
1/8 tsp salt
2 TBL butter or margarine, melted

Carefully cut out stem end of each mushroom. Reserve enough stems for ¼ cup chopped mushrooms. Place hollowed out mushroom caps onto glass pie dish or (small) casserole dish.

With reserved chopped mushrooms, add the remaining ingredients. Spoon mixture into caps and bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until tops are lightly golden. Serve warm.

Love from,
Mrs. Olsen

6 comments:

Nat said...

Okay, first of all, I think you are amazing for eating a salad every single day this year. What an accomplishment! You are a super-hero.

The stuffed mushrooms look like heaven. I, for some reason, cannot get enough of mushrooms, in any shape or form.

I have tried getting onto Bountiful Baskets website and gave up after 60 seconds. I just might have to try that other co-op! Thanks.

And lastly, that Ok go video that you posted has been my 11 year old sons weekend entertainment. He has watched it AT LEAST ten times. We found the treadmill video that they did about a year ago and have loved watching it....but this new one is awesome.

-Natalie

Holly said...

Way to go! Looks great. If you want a unique fruit salad (called Todos Santos Salad), check out our latest blogpost. It was delish.
Love you!

LGH said...

Amber, wow, what a great achievement; a salad every day this year! Way to go. We are still enjoying the spinach drink, but we haven't had it EVERY single day. Today, I gave some to my grandsons; one liked it, one didn't. The mushroom recipe sounds delish, except that it is in a MUSHROOM. maybe i could just make it and eat it w/o the shroom. Inspiring.

Lee Family said...

good work sissy. I love this recipe - it's one of my favorites of the things that you make. My kids love the music video/dominos effect - they watched it twice. so cool. Don't you wish you could set up something like that? love ya

Anonymous said...

Love the stuffed mushrooms. Thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious (although I have about a -1 chance in 100 of actually getting any of my family to eat it. Maybe I'll make them for a party sometime!)