Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Summer Snippet

The summer is whizzing by.  I don't quite have the heart to tell my kids that school is starting in less than a month.  Our cousins that moved to Connecticut last year have been back "home" for much of the summer, so it has been great to play catch up with them.

Dude, look at those ribs.


















This girl is now twelve, a big number in Mormon-dom.  She's now officially a "Young Woman" and went to Girls Camp for the first time.  




This little mutt reminds me of "Boo" on Monsters Inc.  Sometimes I like to think of little people as reincarnated crazy elves.

Are you seeing it yet?

How about now?

I like this picture.  It's fluid, ya?

It's no secret, 6th grade was tough for my daughter.  This was partly because her two besties from school up and left.  It was a rare and sweet reunion for them to play together this summer.  We're hoping that one of them comes back for 7th grade.

Here's Holly and Aunt Sharleen....or is it Sharlene?  Sharleen (I'm feeling the double-e version) brought her granddaughter for a week or so and we all had some good times cooking hotdogs.  Here's Boo getting some attention from the Auntie.  Have I mentioned I'm no one's favorite aunt?  I get it, and I'm okay with it.  There's way too many richer, funner, eager-beaver people I'm competing with so I've come to terms.


Me messing around with the zoom lens and playing around with the focus.  If I was a real photographer I would have made sure the stupid plastic toys weren't in the background.  Hollyhocks are everywhere around her and I have a love-hate thing going on with them.

These two are full-blooded brothers.  The contrast blows my mind sometimes.

Our muscovy ducks are doing a great job eating mosquitoes from the pond.  I wonder if he sees wonder in these two-legged beasts the same way I do.

Where's Ruby and Gideon?  Maybe next time.

6 comments:

Janet O. said...

Love the "Boo" comparison--and the contrast between your sons.
Come on, Amber, surely you are someone's favorite aunt?!?

Aimee said...

Great pictures Amber!
I'm curious about your love hate relationship with hollyhocks...I've been wanting to plant some for a long time...what's the downside?

Anonymous said...

It's been too long since you made a post. Loved the pix. Your hollyhocks are beautiful but not as beautiful as your children. Love Mom

LGH said...

Amber, you are such a good writer; I know that you are super busy, but you should post MORE. ANd, the pictures - fantastic!

Loved this.

Sarah d' said...

Yes. I agree with the other comments. More! More! More! I can't get over how much Chloe looks like you at that age!! She's a beauty just like her mother!

Mrs. Olsen said...

Janet, it's true. I'm no one's favorite aunt. It's better this way, I just don't have the tricks. ;)

Aimee, hollyhocks.... in a nutshell: LOVE- romantic, colorful, old-fashioned, make a statement, attract bees and hummingbirds
HATE- I wonder if they attract and feed grasshoppers. They also require management. Let one of those suckers dry up and go to seed and you've got them across your entire yard and into your lawn.

Thanks for being exciting about this old blog peoples!

Sarah d' - I've heard that you and Josie are buddies and it makes me smile. Thanks for being a wonderful example of motherhood and womanhood.