Monday, May 3, 2010

Year of Salad Update

How much salad can this blog take before it's left in forgotten no-man's land? (hint: please take my survey on the sidebar if you have a moment). In case you're new around here, when that crappy New Year rolled around I decided to simplify my resolution list and just try to eat a raw green salad every day in 2010.


My new routine entails many breakfasts where I drink my favorite spinach smoothie, and there are lots of p.m. meals that get a salad as well. All in all, things have been going pretty well. For example, last Friday was a day of hauling compost from the landfill, filling garden boxes, running for cover from a hail-storm, checking the back-side of our goat to see if she's going into labor soon, eating home-made soup, cleaning my bathroom, and watching a flick with The Mister of the House.




So all that right there, that big run-on sentence of stuff, was just me running around until at 9:30 I crawled into bed, tired and ornery, and realized this: "Awww crap, I didn't eat a salad today!" I ate soup full of beans, carrots, celery, onion, and chopped up swiss chard (worst vegetable name EVER)...but no salad.

So I laid there in my bed, thinking I should just go make a quick salad and be done with it. Why didn't you make a spinach smoothie with your soup? Well, gosh I don't want to poop my brains out. Bean soup AND a spinach smoothie. Gosh I'm tired. Should I get up? Maybe The Mister would make one for me if I call out to him..... Just go before you fall asleep.... Mister, is that you? I gotta get up and eat a .....zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

So May 1st, 2010 is my official first day of missing my raw greens. Dangit!

However! I have been asked a few times: So is your salad deal helping you lose weight?

The answer, yes. It's simple and sustainable. I'm trying to cut out processed foods as well, not to mention having a plethora of raw fruits and veggies from the food co-ops are making positive impacts. But so far this year I've lost about 15 pounds. Not bad, huh? Still a lot to go. Still fat. But not bad.

9 comments:

Monica said...

You rock! I had no idea you were so vegetarian-like. Your soup sounded good, too.

LGH said...

Amber, you are so honest! I love your honesty, honestly. But, great achievement, so don't beat yourself up about missing one day on May 1st. You are awesome...congratulations! Terrific job on eating salad for so many days and on your weight loss program.

Jenny said...

Amber you are doing awesome! I was always a bit bummed whenever I missed a salad (three times:) but life happens! your swiss chard was basically like salad in a soup anyway!

Lee Family said...

Pretty much you had a soup salad on May 1st so - you're still totally awesome and I'm proud of you and way to go Hoorah!

Wife of a Traveler said...

Because of you I have been eating a salad everyday. I crave it now. I still want to try your whole wheat croûton bread recipe that you posted a while ago. I also wanted to suggest that you listen to a podcast that help me a ton with weight loss(not that you need help, you are doing awesome!) On Itunes search: Inside out weight loss. Try it out.. ps I dont spell croûton like that, it was the spell check

Anonymous said...

Way to go--I'm proud of you.

Kimberly Davis said...

15 Lbs - that's fabulous - I think it's such an achievement that you are eating so heathly...i love my ding-dongs too much and my back end is the finished product....it's not to pretty!

Mrs. Olsen said...

Trieste...I'm so glad you are eating a salad every day! That made me happy to hear that.

I will check out the podcast. It may be a couple months, but I'll track it down eventually.

Heather said...

Um, I totally count Swiss Chard as being Salad in soup form. Way to go, Amber, you're an inspiration.