Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Week of Salad: Tuesday


This week I resurrected another old recipe that I once loved but carelessly, thoughtlessly, set it aside. Because I usually bake my bread-diva-neighbor's bread every week for my family, it was a treat to rework Harvest-Time Oat Bread into the schedule. This bread is tasty with wheat flour, oats, carrots, onions, parsley, and dill.



HARVEST TIME OAT BREAD - 2 LOAVES

Nonstick cooking spray
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
6 to 6 1/2 cups freshly ground wheat flour
(I like half hard white kernels, half hard red)
2 cups uncooked rolled oats
4 tsp. yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup honey or brown sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/4 cups milk
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 cup finely shredded carrots
2 TBL. dried parsley
2 TBL dried dill
1 TBL butter, melted

Spray skillet with cooking spray, heat over medium heat until hot. Cook and stir onion until tender and slightly browned.



In your Bosch, mix 3 cups of flour and your oats. Add your salt and yeast in there as well. I also added 2 TBL of vital wheat gluten (not pictured).



Heat water, milk, and 1/4 cup butter or margarine over low heat until mixture reaches 120 - 130 degrees.



Make sure you switch your Bosch attachments so you are ready to mix your bread dough with your dough hook. So now add the heated milk mixture to flour mixture. Blend at low speed long enough to get everything sticky and wet. Then beat 3 minutes at medium speed while you throw in...



Slowly add the remainder of your flour. Only add enough to get your dough formed together nicely, sweeping the edges of your Bosch clean as it turns. Do not add too much flour! To allow gluten chains to form nicely, keep your Bosch running for about 8 minutes on medium speed.



Cover and let rise until doubled (about 30 minutes) and then punch down. Cover and let it rest 10 more minutes. Spray 2 loaf pans and form into 2 loaves. Allow to rise again until doubled (about 30 minutes).



Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Brush melted butter onto warm tops. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.

Later...
slice, toast, lightly butter and salt, then cut into squares and top on your fresh greens! These seasoned "croutons" won't fly across the room when sprung with your fork...and THAT's a treat.

Adios!
Mrs. Olsen

9 comments:

Holly said...

Looks fabulous! Can't wait to try it!

Mom's Sewing Vault said...

I'm no bread expert, but I'm a book-reading expert (lol). Just read in Peter Reinholt's whole grain book, and the Artisan bread in 5 mintues a day, that if you leave the dough moist, and let it sit longer, that will help create more elasticity, without extra gluten or extra kneading. What say you, Amber?

I really really want to make this bread. :)
sally

Mrs. Olsen said...

What say I? I say leave the gluten out and it will probably be just fine. Follow Sally's recommendation to keep it wet a bit longer before adding more flour. Sally sounds like she knows what she's talking about more than me :)

This recipe was adjusted by me for salad spunk. The original recipe had wheat AND white flour...and only parsley (no dill). I'm thinking the dill might make it over the top if you are making it into dinner rolls.

Jenny said...

that bread looks/sounds so delicious. Yum. I need to come eat dinner at your house :)

Lee Family said...

wow, can you come cook for me? maybe you can spice up dad's diet this weekend!

Lee Family said...

I just love to comment so much. I could just comment and comment all day I just love it so much.

Lee Family said...

oh no, I just remembered I was going to email mom that song about rollerskating through a buffalo herd . . . which you can't do . . . but you can be happy if you've a mind to.

Mrs. Olsen said...

Hey Lee Family! You're muddying the waters around here. Go update your own stinkin' blog.

Lee Family said...

don't tell me what to do.