Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Eve's Redemption

Like Eve, I am finding myself drowning in the chore of removing all the many many weeds presented before me to inflict and torment man. But Mrs. Olsen is fighting back proud. Yes! My yard sucks right now! But it's early summer and my garden is well-nigh into growing and deliciousness is but a few weeks away.....



Okay ready? Besides spuds we're growing: peas, beans, lettuce, tomatoes, squash, & corn. The miracle of corn is waiting for us yet again. Is it waiting for you too?



There's something to be said about letting your kids "work". Like the time I gave Vanilla Wafer the job of planting a row of corn while I weeded the other rows. I ended spending twice the amount of time just pulling extra seeds out of the dirt. Aaaah.



Zeolite! The Mister of the House bought a ton of this, and half of it is still sitting in my driveway. So please, if you want to buy some, I'm selling the extras.


Why should you love this stuff? Well, remember all that big wheelbarrow full of shittake mushrooms from my chickens? We mixed zeolite in with it, which binds with the ammonium and makes it so you can fertilize your garden with it. Otherwise, chicken shnicks are too "hot" and burn plant life. Zeolite also reduces watering needs and makes the best cat litter on the market.


4 comments:

jennaloha said...

Off topic, but I am having a blast with Picasa! I am trying to pack for my trip to Idaho but I instead keep glancing wistfully at my computer wanted to photo edit. Next step: embedding the giant things into my blog. I'll get it someday.

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Ambos. Someday I'll actually accomplish that garden I've been thinking about for five years . . .

paula said...

I want to grow a real garden. We just have tomatoes, zuchini, onions, jalapenos, and an already dead cantalope.

Debbie said...

You can certainly add some Disco Marigolds to your garden. I got mine at the KMart garden center!