Saturday, June 20, 2009

Papa Love

Joseph Smith, boy prophet and faithful martyr, once sat down with a bunch of friends and taught them a series of lectures on faith. One of the lectures began with this premise:

"Let us here observe, that three things are necessary, in order that any rational and intelligent being may exercise faith in God unto life and salvation."

"First, The idea that he actually exists."

"Secondly, A correct idea of his character, perfections and attributes."

"Thirdly, An actual knowledge that the course of life which he is pursuing, is according to his will."*

So it was under this premise that I began a more careful reading of scripture. I focused on 2 things: the separate titles of Deity (from "The God of Nature" to "The Stem of Jesse") left me pondering on the many roles that God plays in my life. Next, the underlining of specific attributes of God as detailed by those who knew Him best (the prophets writing scripture).

One day I found a scripture that changed my relationship with God forever. Here it is:

If a [daughter] shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give [her] a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give [her]a serpent? - Luke 11:11

All of a sudden a light switch went off! I had a lifetime of experience with a hard-working, unselfish, funny, and amazing dad that put everything in perspective. If I asked my dad for bread, he would definitely not throw me a rock. He would usually pretend to ask for a drive to the breadstore then quietly fill up my constantly-on-fumes gas tank while I stood in the bread line with the $five-spot he tucked in my hand.

My faith grew. My intimidation of a wrathful God was quelled when I realized that I am a daughter of a Father in Heaven who desires not to give a stone in His fury, but wanted me to be good, to have bread, and even catch a fish alongside a beautiful creekbed in the mountains (but not on Sunday mind you!).

For this paradigm shift, and a growth spurt in my faith department, I thank my dad.



Happy Father's Day Daddio.



In honor of all dad's everywhere, watch this amazing clip. Make sure to make it full-screen...it's that good!



*He continued: "For without an acquaintance with these three important facts, the faith of every rational being must be imperfect and unproductive; but with this understanding, it can become perfect and fruitful, abounding in righteousness unto the praise and glory of God the Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

amber, you are too kind with your words. I wish I could measure up to your expectations, or your mother would see me as your words describe. either would be a blessing. love you and your clan.

dad

Lee Family said...

I remember when I read To Kill a Mockingbird I thought my dad was just like Atticus Finch. You have such a sweet soul that I am feel blessed ALL the time that you're my seesta. Love ya.