Friday, May 13, 2011

It's A Small World

Coming home from the NICU and with the little guy on oxygen meant that for the first 3 weeks of his life, Gideon had a tube across his face and was connected to a machine. While the weather has evolved from spring to winter, and back to spring again; while the earth has celebrated royal weddings and hunted down number one terrorists; while Japan has recovered from tsunamis and nuclear meltdowns and the American South has been blasted with tornadoes....I have heard of these major world events in passing while I personally experienced my major current event of returning the oxygen machine. I could finally rock and sway my baby while walking to another area of the house.


During these three weeks I think I was away from the house less than two hours. Indeed it has been a small world for me right now, and not in the way of seeing an old friend during your Disneyland vacation.

There's an intimacy and a reveling that occurs between a mother and her offspring. With all the investment of body, pain, and sleep, you begin to revel in the minute details of your primo current event.


The way his fingers asymmetrically curl in his little fist.


The waiting for my favorite baby trick of getting a kiss from little toesies.


How I've googled more weird things with this baby than my others. Like the times when I nurse him laying down, if:
* my right "side" is super full
* baby is lying on his left side
* his left nostril drips milk
Basically the fire hose of milk unleashes and his nose compensates for lack of esophageal drainage. p.s. it doesn't bother baby

And how his lips appear to be little blisters, or super chapped. Basically evident that he is getting a wicked latch and getting the job done at the breast.


How my kids take after The Mister of the House who has a deceptively HUGE head. Narrow in the face, but on the side it keeps going for a mile. In certain angles I stare at my kids head and start to go cross-eyed as he appears to be a cone-headed alien from SNL.


How the DNA war was won by The Mister of the House. While it's clear that this baby is related to his older brother, I feel the need to proclaim that it's apparent I have made no genetic contribution to this child.



How when I place my hands under his arms and pick him up, he gets mile-long cleavage.





This is how we grow 'em in Mrs. Olsen's garden! Yum!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is adorable--as is older brother.

JeffT said...

What a cutie! And yeah to returning the oxygen machine!!!!

Tami said...

Dang Jeff's account...that was me!

Lee Family said...

ooooooh, I want to squish and hug and squish again. Are his eyes dark? He looks like Wafer and Buddha baby at the same time. He is soooo cute and excellent pictures sister. I can't wait to meet him.

Jenny said...

He's perfect! Congratulations! He does look a lot like the mister!

Mrs. Olsen said...

This was posted 2 days ago and then just disappeared! So I'm throwing it back up and not sure if someone's messing with my blog. What's the deal?

Advent Creative said...

It has happened to multiple blogs that I read. Not sure what's up??? Love the post though!!!

Angenette said...

I could just eat him up!!!

jennaloha said...

Yes, he is nummy. Welcome back to blogdom. It's hard to put one up between feedings and naps! I commend your dedication.

Monica said...

Wow! He looks so much like Nilla Wafer and he looks like he is 5 months old! You'd better start sharing him in real life. The blog pictures are a good start, though...

Anonymous said...

where does rainbow girl put her posts? - Niki

Ms. Fish said...

Congrats on returning the O2 and celebrating the small world which has the biggest rewards.

Anonymous said...

He's darling! Good work, Mr. and Mrs. Olsen.