Thursday, October 14, 2010

Garden Recipe: Spaghetti Squash Lasagna

There's so many garden recipes I have been cooking up lately to use up our fresh garden produce, but I have hardly had a second to post them on the blog. For now? Here's a new family favorite: Spaghetti Squash Lasagna. It's adapted from some magazine pullout from long ago, but you can really just fly on the cuff with this one.



I recommend cooking option 2, simply because it cooks more thoroughly and evenly. If using the microwave, just make sure that the squash is all the way cooked. Pierce with a fork and stick the entire thing in the microwave. At the end of cooking, pull out the fork again and check for tenderness. Then you cut it open, throw away the seeds and gross strings around the seeds, then scrape the flesh out into a bowl.

So cook it up, scrape out the flesh, and season to taste with butter, salt, pepper, and italian seasonings.



We used pork that we raised in the backyard. I have to admit a few things: we definitely eat meat more sparingly now that we raise our own meat. And B) never been much of a piggy eater but this pork has been a delicious protein boost in the home.

So we're about to start our layers. Spray a 9X13 pan with cooking spray, then we're ready to go.




Mostly mozzarella, with a sprinkling of full-flavored italian cheeses does the trick nicely. I love to buy the already grated canister called "Mario Batali Italian 4 cheese blend". Sam's Club has it and it has aged provolone, asiago, parmesan & romano shredded cheese. This will add a lot of flavor to the dish.

You repeat the layers twice *with the exception of the last layer of cheese. Save that for the last 5 minutes of cooking*. Got it?

So from bottom up layer: half squash, half meat, sauce, then cheese. Now repeat but save the last layer of cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Then sprinkle last layer of cheese and bake for 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes.



Garnish options: Fresh Parsley
Other options: add chopped olives with your meat layer.

Enjoy!

9 comments:

Tonya said...

Thank you for posting this! I LOVED it when I had it at your house and have craved it ever since. You ROCK!

paula said...

This looks delish! I'm gonna try it.

LGH said...

WOW, looks mighty tasty indeed. And, I loved the accompanying pictures.

Anonymous said...

No way! I just got three big spaghetti squashes from my organic food co-op and wondered what else I could do besides spaghetti. And then I decide to waltz over to your blog and I see this? Serendipity! Thanks Mrs. Olsen. I just wish I were as cool as you and raised my own meat :)

Lee Family said...

That looks so tasty. Will it be as tasty if I make it without my own homegrown Ham and Bacon, squash, and homemade spaghetti sauce??
Maybe I'll just come over to your house and eat dinnah! It would be much easier - then I can stay for a while and then I can go to girls weekend and then we will be a happy family.

Mrs. Olsen said...

Niki, yes it will be delicious even if you don't raise your own pig. You can still come over.

p.s. Angenette, thanks for the foodie tip!

Monica said...

I made this last night for dinner and it was fabulous! Except, I just realized I forgot the mushrooms--darn. Eating gluten-free gets so boring sometimes; this was the most satisfying dish I have made in a long time. Thanks, sissy!

Lee Family said...

I am going to make this tomorrow. Amber, will you email me how much green pepper/onion/meat to cook - I need detailed instructions or I will mess it up.
Thanks bye

Allen Family said...

I will be making this for my mealshare we do w/ 2 other fams in the 'hood! Thanks for the share!