Friday, September 10, 2010

Greens for Peace

Today I caught a more gritty perspective of Ireland. The idyllic rolling hills, leprechauns, and pots of gold took a backseat on my black cab tour through Belfast. Evidently, this town in Northern Ireland was not, should we say, "tourist friendly" ten years ago. We are here after a concerted effort at peace and new beginnings. It has worked to the point that we walked a couple miles to the farmer's market, safe as a baby in a carriage, and bought some goods for dinner. So to start, here's my salad for this day, Friday September 10th, 2010.




While tourism is making a comeback to the point there are "black cab tours", I was fascinated by the evidence of a violent and passionate past. Here's a little slideshow of the many murals of Belfast. The murals are:
* remembrances for the dead
* criticisms of the "other side" (Protestants vs. Catholics)
* Hope for the future
* and marking of territory
We were taken by Billy the Irishmen, to the "Protestant Neighborhoods" and the "Catholic Neighborhoods" where these murals inform the present and form culture. Check out the massive fence to keep folks from throwing bricks or tear-gas into the neighborhoods of the "other side".



Things I didn't know: that after Frederick Douglas escaped from slavery (with the help from some Irish), that he lived in Ireland and spoke about equal rights for all.

To my small perspective, things are changing for the better. No recent bombings or killings, and safety in the streets to the point that I could walk to the market for fresh greens.

It has been a great day of learning, and a day of gratitude for the peaceful existence that was my childhood and my current state of living. Yet, I find that tonight my prayers will have a more earnest petition for peace.

Signing off!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to see pictures of you and your hubby in Ireland!

Anonymous said...

My brother served a mission in Ireland and I remember him talking about the fighting with the different religions. It was very hard for him to teach about our chruch because of all the relgios up heavil. Brooke Rands

LGH said...

Amber, I loved this passionate post and your conclusions. Thanks for the pictures and the reminder of how marelous peace is.

Allen Family said...

Jealous!