Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Green Dreams

This week the proof will be out there, proof that I am eating fresh greens every day in 2010. So far so good! I have even prevailed amidst the challenge of sick, fevering, barfing, coughing, keeping me up and grouchy, sick, sick kids for a good 7 days this month. Before I start my weekly digest, I thought I'd share some salad thoughts here first.



A) Been defining my rules. The devil on my shoulder tells me to eat a side salad and then finish the meal with a big mac. Not really but you get the idea. I'll eat my greens and my calories too! so says my devil. So I am trying hard to have my salad be THE MEAL, and not add on other more fluffy, baked, or cheesy delights afterwards.

B) My rules also include my favorite spinach smoothie for a meal. I absolutely count that as a salad and love to drink it for breakfast.



C) Forget the Activia Challenge with their subtle arrows pointing down down down when Jamie Lee Curtis talks about "regularity". Ugh. Here's my subtle arrow. Eat a salad every day and your Weight Watchers, Atkins, or South Beach Diet will applaud your fiber increase for the day. Or just your mother. And definitely Mrs. Olsen.

D) Today of all days I expanded my rules to include a lunch of sauteed cabbage, with browned onions and muy salt. Am I being my own worst enemy here? Can someone validate my salad rule here? I want cabbage darnit!

4 comments:

Kristen, Marshall, Eliza, and Peter said...

I'm so impressed with your challenge. I try to eat greens, but I usually end up throwing them away once they're slimy and limp. Cabbage is definitely healthy and should count as a green in your rulebook. You've probably already mentioned what you put in your spinach shakes, but can you tell me again? I put blueberries, strawberries, peaches, and mango (all frozen) and then banana, spinach and milk in mine. I'm looking for a way to make it healthier. Any ideas?

Mrs. Olsen said...

Kristen, that sounds healthy indeed. No added sugar? Very good.

I have found that milk-based smoothies bring out the banana more, which can be a good or bad thing depending on who you are. Our favorite is 1 cup OJ, 1 small banana, ice cubes, big handful of baby spinach.

When I do milk-based smoothies I use skim milk and never add sugar. The frozen fruit is sweet enough!

Jenny said...

I think cabbage definitely counts indeed. And a spinach shake sounds awesome!

Anonymous said...

Cabbage is good for you. FYI the Atkins diet permanently damaged Jerilyn's kidneys.