Monday, November 10, 2008

A Simpler Christmas

When I married The Mister of the House nearly a decade ago, I shared the same name as this woman.

Mrs. Olsen to you, Grandma Cozy to my three offspring.

If we could read her thoughts taken on this September afternoon, it's very likely it went something like this: "If I can finish my Christmas shopping by November 15th, then the blessed month of December can be free for scheduled nights of hot cocoa by the fire, gingerbread houses, winter puzzles in the corner of the room, visiting the poor, and watching Christmas movies with the family".

Christmas is her specialty and her passion. The woman bore seven children for crying out loud, and not only did she retain her sanity, every stinkin' one of them can testify of the magic of Christmas. She's so good, she actually teaches Christmas classes. She's quite literally given hundreds of moms a glittery fairy wand with instructions on how to make magic during the Holidays. If she had a web-site or a blog, I'd throw you a link. Sorry.

As an overall Christmas consultant, I am not that Mrs. Olsen. But I do like the idea of getting the gift thing down early, so I can at least try to spare myself some of the December rush to decorate, bake, visit, vacation, finish school, and party party party!

This week I will be brainstorming gift ideas for a simpler Christmas. I welcome your ideas as well so I can find that perfect gift for the loved ones on my list.

By the way, if Christmas morning includes phrases like:
  • A new car! You didn't?
  • Stupid Santa only gave me five games for my X-Box!
  • Why did they give me a book when it's already a movie?

then this week's tips are not for you.

7 comments:

The Clark said...

aa, don't be a dork. when you left a comment on my blog i was thinking you were some '98 grad whose existence i was never aware of.

you write good blog girlfriend. seems your are still the wittiest. nice to see you on the web. i need your email address to send an invite. you can leave it as a comment again on my blog and if you don't want me to publish it i won't.

rock on.

Anonymous said...

every christmas uncle don just says, "why don't we make our christmas gifts this year?" each year he actually makes a gift or two but his simplicity could be well served in many homes in america. thank goodness aunt faye taught piano and used every penny to buy christmas gifts.....

Anonymous said...

What a fun surprise to see my face on your entertaining blog site! And yes, it is all true. Although your Mr. Olsen
remembers a few "not so magic" Christmases, I did try every year. Just the other day I was saying to my youngest
child that even looking in my pan cupboard seems a bit more magical this time of year because of all the holiday
foods that come to mind. It truly is the most wonderful time of the year! I especially love sharing it with you and
the rest of our practically perfect family. So much love, Grandma Cozy

Mrs. Olsen said...

Kathryn, Your dad rocks. He collects birdhouses (and makes them?) and yet sings like a cowboy crooner down by the river. Your mom is one of my favorites. God bless her and her piano magic.

Anonymous said...

I'm going for a homemade Christmas this year (although Santa is bringing a toy or two per child). My husband said, "But not for me, right?" Apparently, I have a long way to go in the conversion.

Wendy

Mrs. Olsen said...

Wendy - Since I've been pretending to be a "gift consultant" all week, I fear I'm starting to sound like a commercial. I like homemade Christmases, even for our technology-addicted husbands.

paula said...

I'm totally doing homemade Christmas this year. When I was a kid it was always like that and my fondest Christmas memories were of those times. Just this week I made my nieces the cutest outfits out of shirts from my friends DI bag. Homemade doesn't have to be lame.