Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013 Begins with a Good Omen




 This morning was a slow start, and I didn't even party last night.  I welcomed with some relief, the vigilant cold (flu?) that forced me to stop the frenzied partying, eating, consuming, gifting, and worrying that comes during the Holiday Season.  The past two days have found me in bed sucking lozenges, sleeping, and watching Netflix on my phone.  Laaaaazy bones.

So this morning I heard the usual sounds of the little farm waking up-starting with the turkeys.  We still have 3 turkeys left from heritage breeds Narragansett and Royal Palm.  Two puffy males constantly strut in front of the lone female, their male ego a beautiful blue show.  The turkeys were loud, gobbling, gobbling, gobbling.  They kept getting louder and louder until it approached the level of ruckus.

I opened the blinds to see a huge flock of wild turkeys descending on the farm!  It was invigorating!

So the Mister and I hurried outside to investigate and dissuade our guests from discovering the free food.  There must have been close to fifty, gliding in and surrounding our turkeys.  Our two males were puffed and huffed.

Through the gate and already the wild flock is starting to part.



Some flew away.



 And that-a-way.



Others meandered to our neighbors field.

I felt a flood of options and questions come over me:
What if we just made them our own flock?
Let's have a big dinner?
How are they thriving and surviving so well in the winter?
Do you think they'll come back?
Where are they going?




When we turned back to our turkeys, they were still fluffed up from the encounter.  Not being a turkey whisperer, I couldn't tell if their gobbling call (answered one second later by the simultaneous gobbling of the entire flock of wildlings) was a warning, a threat, or just a Hey! Where'd you guys come from?


Here they are in the neighboring field, close to fifty of them!  The sky above, the clouds, the vigorous show of family and flock, the asking for blessing from our farm (sorry, denied!) seemed just the sign I needed to start my 2013.

So I started my morning with a O.J., banana, spinachspinachspinach green power smoothie.  A sign of things to come?

Then our post-Holiday overly-blessed house spent the morning taking care of some important business.  Like how is it my kids have never seen Goonies?  I almost feel like my duty as a mother should be in question.  This is one of the great films from my childhood.





Use caution when blowing young minds.  They are little sponges.  I dread the day my kids get a facebook, pinterest, and whatever else account. 


Oh Samwise, how cute you were.  I once wanted to kiss you braces and all.  Big brother is taking it all in, and I'm making a list of all the great 80's flicks that need to be shown weekly for Outdoor Movie Nights on the farm.  A sign of things to come?


And occasional distraction with little brother, just to prove we're not total TV Zombies.

Happy New Year!
Love From,
Mrs. Olsen


6 comments:

Janet O. said...

Wow, that was a serious flock of turkeys! We've had a few wild ones in the neighborhood this summer, but I think they belong to a neighbor that doesn't have them very well penned. : )
I've never seen that movie. Am I scarred for life?

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are writing again. Those were gorgeous, picture-postcard pretty photos. Love the idea of the outdoor movies.

LGH said...

Amber, I've missed your posts. You are a great writer...seriously. The picture in your heading is just awesome. You have an artist's eye and a writer's mind...here's to more posts in 2013!

Aimee said...

Sorry to hear you're sick Amber.
I love the pics of the turkeys! How fun :)
Get better soon!

Lee Family said...

Wild turkeys!! What the crap - I didn't know wild turkeys were in abundance in that there part of the country. And I made porter watch goonies 2 weeks ago - it is a classic. He now quotes the chubby kid telling Everything beginning in kindergarten. Ha ha

jennaloha said...

Did you notice language in Goonies that you never did before? 80s kids movies LOOOVES S, h, i and t. Try Short Circuit and you'll see what I mean. Oh, and even Back to the Future sports several of those letters put together. I swear I didn't ever hear it before I had kids watching it.