Saturday, August 4, 2012

When You Stick With It (In Marriage)

Inevitably, every young new mother who flusters her way through church or the store, will run into some sweet Grandma who lovingly states "Oh, appreciate them when they're young...they grow up so fast".  I heard this so many times that I thought Ya Ya, come over and nurse a baby all night and then tell me how lovely it is.  Not that I didn't enjoy nursing my kid, I was just so tired.  So in transition...


But I've turned a corner. We get these little babies, and their spirits are big and bright enough to fill the measure of a grown man.  I imagine their spirits like a package of giant, oversized, sweet, puffy and soft marshmallows.  So you have that package of marshmallows bigger than your head right?  And you cram and squish and cram it inside a small little box of cracker jacks.  That's the spirit meeting the body and coming to earth.  So even though you can pick up that little box of Cracker Jacks, it's got enough calories to fill space and time.


I love to hold my babies up high, around my heart, and contain that sweetness from heaven.  It's so MINE, at least for the moment.


You can't tell by this picture, but he loves it too.


When you're just starting out, sometimes it's easy to lose the perspective of heaven, of time as a fleeting thing. You lose your looks, your waist (well at least SOME people do), your hobbies, your time, and you can get caught wondering if it makes a difference.


I wonder if the people on the left ever wondered these things?


But the fact that they loved me, held my marshmallow spirit close to their heart, fixed me dinner and told me stories and let me jump on the couch and made me a prom dress...well that's how I reason my own mutts will give me a good payoff in years to come.


Can you believe that my parents have been married FIFTY YEARS this year?  Their getting older, coupled with pubescent strained outbursts in my house, have made me sweetly aware of my time.  Not enough to get me to stop playing Words with Friends, but enough that I kiss on my kids every stinkin' day.


We had a reception for my parents this summer.  We had family come from as far as New Mexico!




Clay's family doing a skit re-enacting my dad running Ricks College B-Ball Camps.  Long story, but a classic!




I sang a song to my folks and cried like a stinkin' baby.  Annoying.




This is my family right now.  Good night!



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You keep making me cry--will you knock it off. I love you. Mom

paula said...

WOW...50 years. Congratulations!

I love your writing and story telling. The analogy of your kids spirit crammed into a cracker jack box.......so profound. I feel the same way. I know there are no "perfect" families but when I envision the kind of life, love and legacy I want for my own little family now, the first thing that always comes to mind is your family growing up. It inspires me still.....

Aimee said...

Great post Amber. I too love your analogy :) That last picture is beautiful!
Thanks for the comments on my blog...I wish I could respond to them there but since you're a no-reply-blogger I can't :( So to quickly explain Josh's foot...This is his second surgery that he had done about 3 1/2 weeks ago. They do take a long time to heal completely...about 3 months.

LGH said...

Amber, you are a gifted writer, no doubt....I hope you print your blogs and keep them; they are treasures. Congrats to your wonderful parents. They are as beautiful as ever and your family portrait is stunning.

jennaloha said...

Love this post as always. Can't wait to heart snuggle my little cracker jack! My arms really wanna. Loves from the desert.

p.s. I shouted out to you on the blogpost you prompted me to do :)

Mrs. Olsen said...

Paula, your sentiments warmed my heart. I had no idea! I nub you Paula.

LGH, you are always so sweet. I love you and your family so much.

Jenna, so excited for your cracker jack! Love that you got some Idaho summer tucked away in 2012.

Holly said...

I love you and your amazing family. I am so lucky to be a part of it :)

Anonymous said...

I haven't been keeping up with blogs for like, oh, ever. But I'm so happy I read this today. Love you Andersons.