Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Garden Recipe: Zucchini-Mint Brownies

Please tell me you still have one big fat zucchini on your counter that you've been wondering whether or not to throw away? Well don't! Here's another garden recipe sent to save the day! (do I still have good karma Tonya?)





These are ingredients for a full-size cookie sheet full of fiber-rich brownies. Start with that zucchini. Grate it. We need 4 cups!

Next we have our oil substitute: Great White Northern Beans. Use one regular sized can. Drain the juices, then throw the beans in your food processor.



At this point you stir together (do not beat!):
4 cups grated zucchini (I keep the skins on)
1 can of smoothed and processed white beans, and
4 tsp. vanilla

At this point in the mixing, you begin to wonder if you just started a diarrhea-fest at your house. Beans and zucchinis? Seriously?

Seriously. Trust me. Moist and delicious.

Now before you add your dry ingredients, let's throw in some fresh mint. This is of course optional since we just had our first snowstorm of the season today.

Here's the deal. If you think you can't grow anything, that your thumb is red (or something) instead of green, plant yourself some mint. It will never. ever. never go away.



So I just grabbed a handful. How's that for measuring? If you add it, make sure to cut the coarse ends off. Then into the food processor to chop to smithereens. Stir into your poopfest and on with the dry ingredients.

DRY INGREDIENTS:
4 cups flour (I love fresh ground white wheat. It's quite light and fluffy but still whole. I've used white and regular bagged wheat. Either kind will work great).
1 cup cocoa powder
3 cups sugar
2 tsp salt
1 TBL baking soda

Add dry ingredients to wet stuff. Stir together. Lastly, stir in:

2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
Never add nuts (this is not optional). Nuts do not belong in brownies, carrot cake, or banana bread. If you add nuts to this recipe then just go ahead and stop reading this blog right now.

Phew. Okay. So preheat your oven to 350 degrees, grease and flour your cookie sheet, and spread your batter.

Cook for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.



Yum!

5 comments:

LGH said...

Holy cow! That looks divine!

Tonya said...

Amazing KARMA! I roasted tomatoes last night then looked in my fridge and saw one giant zucchini! You are amazing!

paula said...

Ooh la la....brownies are one of my favorite things ever! These look so good. You had me laughing so hard with the nuts....I couldn't agree more.

Indian Restaurant Fan said...

ummmh could not believe we can make this kind of Brownies with Zucchini.

Lee Family said...

seriously, zucchini and beans in brownies. I need to taste it to believe it. send me some right now. that last picture pretty much set my drooling mechanism off. You had to take a breather after the nut tangent didn't you. If you hate nuts so bad, then why do you love pistachio macaroons? Are you a selective nut hater or was it just brownies, bread, and not cookies - I can't remember now what you said. Any hoot, dude, you are a gorgeous garden goddess.